Be on the lookout for new original projects out in 2019.
MOBTOWN MOON is her 2013 dream-come-true collaboration with singer/songwriter ellen cherry and a large host of Baltimore-based artists from many genres. Most of the arrangements were Sandy’s and they sprang vision-like from waking trances. The music is like the city that inspired it: gritty and beautiful and often just odd.
MM personnel: SA and ellen cherry (ec) co-creators. Scott Smith recording/mixing. Drew Mazurek mastering.
1) The City Speaks: SA compiler/composer, with found sounds provided by Baltimore Soundscape, a project of Hearing and Speech Agency.
2) Breathe (chant): Brian Simms & Vincent Stringer vocals; SA arranger
3) Breathe: SA and ec vocals; Ben Frock trumpet; Jeff Reed bass; Frank Russo drums; Scott Smith guitar; Brain Simms accordion and bg vocals; Vincent Stringer bg vocals
4) On The Run: Andrew Grimm banjo; Dave Hadley pedal steel; ec and Scott Smith drum programming & bells; ec sound assembly, tuning radio, & Moog
5) Time: Brian Simms lead vocal/piano/organ; Warren Boes guitar; Matthew Everhart bass; Christian Stengle drums; Vincent Stringer reprise vocals; ec and SA bg vocals;SA arranger with big assist from the band.
6) The Great Gig in the Sky: SA vocal and arranger; Nicholas Currie violin, Kate Zahradnik cello; Tim Anderson cello; Bryan Young bassoon; Brian Simms organ; Warren Boes guitar; Christian Stengle drums; Mathew Everhart bass.
7) Money: Chris Jacobs vocal/guitar; SA piano/keyboards; Jake Leckie acoustic bass; Mike Gambone drums; SA arranger with big assist from the band.
8) Dream/Counterfeit: David Ross & Femi The DriFish spoken word (writers & performers); with the band from “Money” above.
9) Us and Them: ec vocal; SA piano and arranger; Ben Frock trumpet; Bryan Young bassoon; ec and Jen Smith cellos; Jeff Reed bass; Frank Russo drums.
10) Any Colour You Like: Russell Kirk alto sax; Todd Marcus bass clarinet; Jeff Reed acoustic bass; Eric Kennedy drums; SA arranger. THIS WAS A LIVE JAZZ TAKE, NO OVERDUBS.
11) Brain Damage: Lea Gilmore vocal; SA piano and arranger; Craig Alson tenor and bari sax; Patrick Klink, Katie Graybeal, and Brian Gundersdorf bg vocals; Jeff Reed bass; Eric Kennedy drums.
12) Eclipse: OrchKids directed by Dion Cunningham vocals (Keyon Brewington, Nyshae Cheatam, Jameira Crippens, Kayla Dickerson, Monique Graves, Lawrence Howell III, John McFadden, Joseph Wilkerson, Dasani Young);Patrick Klink, Katie Graybeal, and Brian Gundersdorf bg vocals; Scott Smith guitar & effects; Jeff Reed bass; John Thomakos drums.
MEMOIR is Sandy’s 2007 debut of mostly original songs, jazz-pop-folk-rock tinged and lyrically idiosyncratic. It was chosen as one critic’s Best Jazz Debut in the Village Voice that her.
Memoir personnel: SA piano, voice, composer/arranger (arranger only on tracks 9, 10, and 12); Frank Russo drums; Amy Shook bass, violin, viola; Jim McFalls trombone; Tommy Williams trumpet; Dani Cortaza acoustic guitar; Chris Kennedy electric guitar; Fred Hughes engineer.
A Few Notable Past Performances
Mobtown Moon premiere at Kraushaar Auditorium (September 2013)
Mammojam at The 8×10 (June 2012)
WTMD’s Seventh Birthday Bash at the Recher Theater Patio in Towson MD. (April 2010)
Takoma Park Open Mic at Capital City Cheesecake, solo featured artist. (February 2012)
Artscape, Baltimore’s massive free arts festival. (July 2008 and July 2009)
“Tribute To The Tax Man” at the Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington, D.C. (April 15, 2010)
Chick Singer Night showcase at The Bitter End in NYC (May 2010)
Women In Jazz celebration and concert at Eubie Blake Center (March 2010)
Stoop Storytelling Series at CenterStage (November 2007)
Memoir CD release party at Jazzway 6004 (May 2007)
Baltimore Unsigned (live radio performance & interview) on WTMD 89.7 (November 2008)